Are you tired of the chemical laden products companies are pushing into your home? Do you want to make yourself and your family healthier? Surprisingly the first place to start improving is actually your laundry room. Believe it or not, dryer sheets and fabric softeners are the most toxic items in a person’s home. You might be wondering what to use to keep your clothes soft and smelling lovely if you stop buying these things? There’s a new secret that’s catching on like wildfire. They’re called wool balls dryer and they are literally nothing but plain old wool. No special additives and completely chemical free. It’s a greener way of doing laundry and it will revolutionize your health, you family’s health, and even your pocket book.
How Dryer Balls Work
Wool dryer balls work by bouncing around inside your dryer. As they move they fluff up your clothing and keep the moisture level high enough to prevent the onset of static cling. They also help dry your clothing more quickly, cutting down on the overall drying time. This saves you money on your monthly utility bill and who doesn’t like that?
Tip: For a medium load of laundry, use three to six wool dryer balls. Since they are about the size of tennis balls you won’t want to do large loads of laundry. You need room for the balls to move around inside the dryer.
The chemicals used in dryer sheets and fabric softeners are very hazardous to one’s health. Take for instance fabric softener. It smells good so what could be so bad about that? Well, lots of things. For starters take a look at the label. You will see things like:
- Chloroform – A carcinogenic neurotoxin on the EPA’s hazardous waste watch list which can cause headaches, nausea, loss of consciousness, vomiting, dizziness, and drowsiness when the vapors are inhaled.
- A-Terpineol – Responsible for causing disorders related to the nervous system. These include but are not limited to: ADD, Alzheimer’s, Dementia, Parkinson’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, seizures, strokes. Early warning signs of Central Nervous System Disorders include: hunger, memory loss, blurred vision, and pain in the neck and spine. The chemical also acts as an irritant to the lungs when inhaled and can cause pneumonia, respiratory issues, and fatal edema.
- Ethyl Acetate – Another chemical on the EPA’s hazardous waste watch list. Can cause damage to the kidneys and liver as well as cause headaches and loss of consciousness.
- Camphor – Also on the EPA’s hazardous waste watch list. Absorbed through skin causing irritation to eyes, nose, and throat. Camphor is responsible for causing dizziness, confusion, muscle twitching and convulsions.
- Phthalates – This chemical is used to keep scented softeners smelling good longer. Phthalates have been linked to the development of breast cancer and reproductive issues.
This is not an inclusive list. There are more chemicals to note but the aforementioned guide is only an introduction. Do your own research. You’ll be surprised at what you find. Also, keep in mind that fabric softeners are designed to last for long periods within fabrics. That means you’re inhaling a chemical scent and absorbing even more toxic chemicals through your skin all day long. This is especially dangerous to young children.
The first step to a healthier home is getting rid of the chemicals that are making you (and keeping you) sick. Once you’ve gotten them out of your home you’ll begin feeling a difference. Your family will thank you too. Using wool dryer balls is the solution to experiencing better health mentally and physically while saving money on your utility bills at the same time. Why not make the switch? Life’s too short to spend it being sick all of the time. Make the change and start feeling the difference. You’ll be glad you did.